Skip to main content

The Bug!


Saying I’ve been bitten by the knitting bug is actually misleading; I’ve not *stopped* knitting in around 3.5 years now but there’s always something about this time of year that makes me so excited about starting a new year with new projects and excitement. So with this in mind and on the first of the year a goal for what I would like to achieve in 2013. I’m going to be treating this like a Year Of Projects, updating on Sundays where possible.
Our number one goal this year is to be debt free by 2014. I don’t like talking finances online; and it’s not a horrific sum but I get very irate having to pay interest on things like my credit card! We were so “lucky” that as students our overdrafts were interest free; apart from now they want us to – understandably pay it back! We’re both currently paying interest on part of our overdraft and in September that part increases dramatically. We’re both lucky now that we’re in full time jobs and can afford to pay off these debts so I do thank my lucky stars for that.
However it obviously means cutting down on expenses and this year wool is one of the major things I’ll cut back on; I have enough stash to last me at least the year and instead of buying in a trickle through the year I’m saving up for key events such as Wonderwool and probably a  visit to a show in Manchester with my sister or Ally Pally again with the girls.
Anyway Lists! These are things I hope to knit in 2013; I’m going for 13 in 13; which leaves me a bit of wiggle room for other projects and the fact that this year I am working full time. All pictures are taken from either google or Ravelry. All credit is to original photographers.
1. Dr Who Socks.
7071809487_f5e20f2840
Knit Picks (a very famous American retailer of cheap cheap yarn) made a colourway called “Time Traveller” and when the only place in the UK to sell KnitPicks had some in stock of course I had to buy 2 balls. At £5.30 a ball it’s more than I’d normally pay for a pair of socks as each ball only weighs 50g but with colourways like this who can resist. I plan on buying some of the rainbow this year as well.
These will be toe up with a contrasting camel coloured toe and heel so as not to upset the stripes. And yes- I will be going through the balls to find the exact matching point!
2. From Norway with Love

I love her mittens in this one as well. This and the Time Traveller socks are coming with me up to my mothers.
3. Wisteria

I have some beautiful yellow laceweight just waiting for this pattern.

3, Lizard Socks

I liked this pattern; and then I saw them done like this.(Ravely Project page here) and I fell in love. My mother loves Lizards and so these definitely have to be done for Mothers day this year. I already have a rainbow-ish long colour change yarn in the stash so all I need is some white sock yarn. I’ll do these on a 3.0 as opposed to a 2.5 because of my tight gauge.
4. Ziprelaxagon

How much fun do these look!

5. Celestine


6. Sitka Spruce

This beautiful pattern also has a hat; but I feel that the mittens are extra beautiful. I’ll probably convert these so that there is a gap to put my fingers through in the palm so I can check my phone etc.
7. Mary Warmers

I have some beautiful hand dyed yarn in Summer Meadow that is screaming out to become these. It’s a beautiful mixture of yellows and greens and hand dyed by my old wool shop. I really can’t wait to cast these on!
8. LLP Fingerless Mittens (Star Trek)I must re-swatch for these. I promised the boy these last year and never delivered. Would be nice if I could get these done before the premiere of the next movie.
9. Phoenix

I’ll leave this here for 20 seconds to allow the thought to sink in. This is Tunisian crochet and probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I get the feeling that I may have to buy yarn for this one; and I’m currently thinking of going for the similar colour to the photograph or maybe even a deep plum-y purple.
10. Francie

I LOVE the design on the bottom of these; and I did say 2013 would be the year of the sock!
11. Choose your own Dragon Adventure

I think I’ll get a lot of use out of this pattern. Living in Wales with a Welshman means that Dragons are now part of my every day life!
12. Nip and Nora

RATTIES! Enough said! Rhys came up with the idea of making one to commemorate each of our Rats, not saying I’ll be able to knit 7 of these this year but the thought is a really nice one.
13. The Heart of Wales Shawl

This year is going to be the year I do my first large lace project and I fell in love with this beautiful shawl. I have the desire to bead it as well but we shall see on that front. Maybe walk before we try to run!

Comments

  1. You never cease to amaze me how much you make even though you are now working full time. No wonder you are tired!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UFYL Day 3-

  Yesterday was a day off because I worked all day. The idea is to get the house to a stage where 20 mins a day in the dedicated room will do it; but we are not yet at that stage so I had a day off. OH did some laundry and attempted to scrub at a mould stain. Today- Bathroom, Spare Room and Cupboard Under the stairs.   Bathroom:   Before So to start off with grout got scrubbed. See the little white patch in the before? That was where I’d attacked it with baking soda about a week ago. As a result the bathroom was clean-ish but horribly cluttered. I got rid of any bottles that we didn’t use anymore, any face cloths that were damaged because they hadn’t been washed in a while (Note to self, next paycheck buy new ones- Ebay?) and just generally sorted. All surfaces got wiped down including the outside of the toilet bowl, the stem of the sink, the pipes behind the loo, the outside of the bath and the skirting boards. Emptied the bin, removed that POS “organiser” from around the stem

2016 Round Up!

So a bit late, but better late then never for a round up! 2016 has been a year; there's been a few diamonds in the rough and a few wonderful people who've gotten me through but overall wowza, what a year. Yarn Craft wise,I've used   19,586 Meters in 41 Projects For comparison 2015 was 22,752 meters in 42 projects 2014 was 11,464 meters in 33 projects 2013 was 12,732 meters in 25 projects This year that breaks down as 4 Hats, 17 Pairs of Socks, 14 Shawls and a scarf 4 Blankets 1 Pair of Mittens, I also managed most of a Cardigan. I ended the year with 2 fronts, a back and 1 finished sleeve. It will get finished (at some point) in 2017; and I'll count the yardage for 2017. Hats Konglelua - the second hat on the top row has been my go to hat all of this year. Pretty, soft and warm! The blueberry Waffles hat from Daughter of a Shepherd - bottom right has has some great wear too! Socks  This year I really changed up how I do socks. I started

Sad week

  We’re not having a very good week here in Gloucester. Sunday I was poorly and had to phone into work sick (I’m much better now) and then on Monday we had to have our oldest hamster put to sleep.  He’d been going downhill for the last few days, and when I got home from work on Monday, it wasn’t good, so the kindest thing to do was take him and have him humanely put to sleep, it would only have been a few hours if we’d have left him naturally anyway- best to put him out of his suffering. So then the next day we went back with Rommie the rat. She’s been having real trouble with balance, and she’s got so skinny even though she’s eating. The vet thinks she’s blind, and that it may be a brain tumour or an abscess on her brain. The only way to tell would be an MRI, and the best that could tell us is that there was something there; with a cat or dog there would be options but she’s a small animal and she’s old- Plus at the moment I wouldn’t be convinced that she’d make it through the anaes