Skip to main content

UFYL- Day 2: Bedroom

 

Today involves dealing with the large pile of clothes I brought down from the attic. One thing they don’t tell you about UFYL is that you will want to do it all the time. I really wanted to start on the bedroom last night; but knew because of my physical limitations and also probably for my mental limitations that no, one room was enough for one day. The only exception to that will be when I do the living room, bathroom and under the stairs cupboard on Monday. I squared up the bathroom 2 weeks ago and have been keeping on top of it because we have incredibly limited storage space in there anyway.

P1010370P1010372

Before

First session was spent moving the bags and baskets from yesterday onto the bed and emptying the wardrobe. I also started de-cluttering the floor (so I’d have somewhere to sit) and the bottom of the wardrobe. Random find- Gas bill from 2009 in what was meant to be a bin for storing rubbish and will after today be a bin for storing rubbish. Second session tackled the mess down in the bottom and down the side. Those boxes there- yeah. From our move over a year ago. I found a step stool and tumblers in here; still wrapped in bubble wrap. We also have a thing for toothbrushes. I’ve found about 3 between yesterday and today- I mean WTF!

 

Attempt 3 saw the clearance of the boxes, hoovering where the boxes were and moving the wardrobe to the side. It kind of blocks a 1/3 of the window, but you can access all of it and it’s working for now. Session 4-  A very small square footage was looking a hell of a lot better but there was still piles of junk on the floor. The piles were organised into where I needed them, so I moved the attic things to the attic and put them away. The OH’s thing were moved into one of his duffel bags for him to sort out tomorrow on his day off. The floor looks neater and has been given a hoover.

P1010378

After- The closet looks messy because it’s not fully made. That’s the side of the wardobe facing us but there is enough room to freely move between the two.

 

P1010369

Before- Can you see how crammed full of junk that unit is?

Session 5- Chest of draws moved. Other half’s bedside table started. This one is a misnomer- it’s the other half’s bedside table only in the fact it’s his side of the bed. Mostly full of my crap; and shameful to say crap that I brought with me from my parents in 2008 and still have not sorted out. It’s fine to still have stuff from 2008, but when that stuff is broken knitting needles, yeah that’s really not fine.

Session 6- Finished the bedside table of d00m. Moved pile of things to keep into the master pile at the foot of the bed.

P1010380

After- The draw doesn’t fit well. Cheap furniture is cheap. Bedding on the bottom shelf. Spray bottle has since been moved.

P1010374

Before

Session 7- My bedside cabinet. FULL of crap. Indeed some stuff that moved here with me. Tons of rubbish. Evidently the bedside bin should be my side because once I’m in bed I just won’t get up to put things away.

P1010377

After: Bin is actually being used as a bin. Not removed the tape marks on the dresser because after we move I’m saving up for a big girls set of furniture. With bits that match that didn’t cost less than £50 from Argos.

 

Session 8,9 and 10- Working on the floor clutter. Gathering the bits together for the assembly of the chest of draws and bedside table we bought when we moved in. Appear to be missing the instructions for this one so may be trial and error!

After this point it gets hazy because my other half came home. We didn’t do 20/10’s per say but we had a good go at it working longer than needed without a rest. This is NOT something that would work for me on my own, and I would have enforced it harder if it was earlier on in the clean. Though to be honest it maybe took another 2 hours total.

We assembled his bedside cabinet out of the kit. Moving the old cabinet up to the attic for craft things to free up more room. We half assembled the 3 shelf unit that was also part of the trio pack. I say half because, like every bit of Argos furniture I’ve ever assembled it was missing 3/4 of the components. The shelves are attached to the sides and it stands up but it has no lid. OH is going out tomorrow to buy more so we can finish it off. It will look so much nicer when that’s done.

Then it was attacking clothes mountain. We filled 3 bin bags with clothes we didn’t want any more and ones that were too old to wear again. Everything is now on a shelf; apart from the 4 baskets of laundry which OH will do tomorrow. He’s been briefed to do ALL of it. Wash, clean and put away. I have a lot more clothes than I realised; in 6 months I will go through them again and bin what I’ve not used. I’m (very slowly) loosing weight so I hope in 6 months that most things can be chucked out as too big.

P1010381

After: The blue box will live in top of the fabric dresser as soon as we get screws and finish assembling it. It contains chargers not in use and my hair dryer and straighteners. Idea being we stop falling over them so much as there’s only 3 sets of sockets in the room. To the left of the bed, behind my draws and behind the wardrobe.

I then moved, sorted and put away the pile of things that was craft room related while OH cleaned under the bed and hovered.

He’s now washing up some plates ready for our celebration takeaway. Celebrating my success earlier this week *and* celebrating living life like an adult.

Total time: 8 ish hours.

Comments

  1. Omg student room (before) Attic 24 smartness after :)))

    One tip I found. Is amazing what furniture you can get from places like Reclaim where they do house clearances, we got H an awesome unit that he adores for tv to go on with storage in solid wood for £30!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UFYL Day 3-

  Yesterday was a day off because I worked all day. The idea is to get the house to a stage where 20 mins a day in the dedicated room will do it; but we are not yet at that stage so I had a day off. OH did some laundry and attempted to scrub at a mould stain. Today- Bathroom, Spare Room and Cupboard Under the stairs.   Bathroom:   Before So to start off with grout got scrubbed. See the little white patch in the before? That was where I’d attacked it with baking soda about a week ago. As a result the bathroom was clean-ish but horribly cluttered. I got rid of any bottles that we didn’t use anymore, any face cloths that were damaged because they hadn’t been washed in a while (Note to self, next paycheck buy new ones- Ebay?) and just generally sorted. All surfaces got wiped down including the outside of the toilet bowl, the stem of the sink, the pipes behind the loo, the outside of the bath and the skirting boards. Emptied the bin, removed that POS “organiser” from around the stem

2016 Round Up!

So a bit late, but better late then never for a round up! 2016 has been a year; there's been a few diamonds in the rough and a few wonderful people who've gotten me through but overall wowza, what a year. Yarn Craft wise,I've used   19,586 Meters in 41 Projects For comparison 2015 was 22,752 meters in 42 projects 2014 was 11,464 meters in 33 projects 2013 was 12,732 meters in 25 projects This year that breaks down as 4 Hats, 17 Pairs of Socks, 14 Shawls and a scarf 4 Blankets 1 Pair of Mittens, I also managed most of a Cardigan. I ended the year with 2 fronts, a back and 1 finished sleeve. It will get finished (at some point) in 2017; and I'll count the yardage for 2017. Hats Konglelua - the second hat on the top row has been my go to hat all of this year. Pretty, soft and warm! The blueberry Waffles hat from Daughter of a Shepherd - bottom right has has some great wear too! Socks  This year I really changed up how I do socks. I started

Sad week

  We’re not having a very good week here in Gloucester. Sunday I was poorly and had to phone into work sick (I’m much better now) and then on Monday we had to have our oldest hamster put to sleep.  He’d been going downhill for the last few days, and when I got home from work on Monday, it wasn’t good, so the kindest thing to do was take him and have him humanely put to sleep, it would only have been a few hours if we’d have left him naturally anyway- best to put him out of his suffering. So then the next day we went back with Rommie the rat. She’s been having real trouble with balance, and she’s got so skinny even though she’s eating. The vet thinks she’s blind, and that it may be a brain tumour or an abscess on her brain. The only way to tell would be an MRI, and the best that could tell us is that there was something there; with a cat or dog there would be options but she’s a small animal and she’s old- Plus at the moment I wouldn’t be convinced that she’d make it through the anaes