Skip to main content

3KCBWDAY1 – Colour Lovers

 

It’s 3KCBWDAY1 ! This is my first year participating and I’m so excited!

“Colour Lovers
Colour is one of our greatest expressions of ourselves when we choose to knit or crochet, so how do you choose what colours you buy and crochet or knit with. Have a look through your stash and see if there is a predominance of one colour. Do the same with your finished projects - do they match? Do you love a rainbow of bright hues, or more subdued tones. How much attention do you pay to the original colour that a garment is knit in when you see a pattern? Tell readers about your love or confusion over colour.”

I must admit, I do have a tendency to stray towards the same colours in my knitting and crochet; heck I tend to stick to the same colours in life!

Teal and other shades of blue play a very predominant role. I’d say potentially 3/4 of my T-Shirts have a blue hue in them somewhere, my living room has lots of various shades of blue.

Curtains1

I love my living room curtains. The fawn seems to make the room lighter and having the dark brown in there as well means items can be tied in so much easier.

GrannySquare

I would love to claim this Granny Square blanket as my own but sadly it’s not! It’s a Dunelm Mill one, on clearance for £6 each in 100% cotton. I couldn’t have bought the yarn for that price so I snapped 2 up quick!

Lightfitting

Interior design isn’t my strong point, but I love things like lampshades and how they can just seem to bring the room together.

And my spare room curtains are also blue. To be fair they *were* my living room curtains until we moved here. As you can see by the living room picture I have insanely high windows in the lounge; those curtains measure 108 inches on the drop, and had to be specially ordered on the internet. That being said I LOVE my living room curtains, and I will probably pay someone to shorten them if we move and they are too long. Which they probably will be. Maybe I can get 2 pairs for the cost of one Winking smile

BedroomBlue

There are also lots of blues and teals in my yarn collection. In this group there’s Cascade 220 (A sweaters worth sits in my stash), some Freedom Spirit and Lopi my other half brought back from a trip, some Red Heart that I had to buy because we don’t get Red Heart in England and I was ticked at the thought of having some true “baby melter” in my stash. There’s also a spare ball from the Never Ending Granny, and a ball of Chunky in Navy that I can’t recall buying or even particularly wanting. The cones were charity shop bargains; some has been used for a blanket which is probably the destiny of the remainder too.

Blues

My other big love- Green. This is the top of my TV unit in the living room. The canvas on the left was done by my ex flatmates for my 20th birthday, the clock on the right is one of those insert your own pictures ones. It contains photos of the 4 hamsters we’ve owned, plus Finn who was the ex flatmates hamster. The candle holder was bought for me by an ex colleauge for my 18th and I think it looks fabulous stood there. The photographs in the frame are of Guthrie who is sadly departed. I also love my little wooden hamster by brother in law brought me back from Germany. He was my favourite present last year.

LivingRoom

Oddly for me the only two green yarns in my stash at the moment are these two. Arracunia Ranco Solids, I have 2 skeins of each but no clue what to do with them.

Greens

Other colours that frequently appear in my life is RED. I chose to make my bedroom red when we moved in here and sadly I went overboard. The curtains are red, the bedding is red and the whole room feels dark and overcast. If/when we move (or redecorate if we stay here) I’m leaning towards a browns and greys bedroom.

Red has also been my hair colour of choice for at least the last 3 years. About a week and a half ago I dyed it with some colour called MagiContrast and 40 Vol peroxide. I then went and had a hair cut, about an inch and a half taken off since my last crop (in 8 weeks, my hair grows fast). I know look like I had an accident in a Crayola factory, but I LOVE it.

Red doesn’t currently have much of an influence in my yarn stash or my F.O’s and has only really been a colour that I’ve bought in recent months. The obvious choice being my Sylvi. I couldn’t do a F.O Friday because my camera card died, a new one arrived on Saturday though so I managed to get a few snaps by a very reluctant boyfriend in the cathedral. I *will* do an F.O post at some point, I promise.

 

Sylvi1

Some red acrylic, some Smoothie DK (probably something for the nephew) and some lush clicky needles sock in Russet.

Reds

Surprising colours:

As I look again through the images of the colours that influence my house I must admit I never realised how much brown I actually have in here! Hardly any brown yarn (yet!) although I am lusting over a combination of brown and dusky pink for something, although I have no idea what!

Yellow seems to have worked it’s way into my stash a whole lot lately. Here we have some Clicky Needles lace weight, some Heritage 4ply which will become a baby tank top and my latest acquisition, the yellow for Rhys’ Durrow. I washed and blocked swatch and everything. I must admit I’m a good girl when it comes to that for large garment, and it’s a good job I did. The yarn is slightly oiled for machine knitting so when washed it blooms. Luckily it bloomed to gauge but if I’d have changed needle sizes like my pre washed swatch indicated I could have ended up with a jumper miles too big

YellowOrange

 

Other surprising colours that were unturned during this mornings stash fling:

EverythingElse

Apparently I currently have a thing for pinks and purples. I’m still trying to hunt down the right pattern for the Superba Poems. It needs something to break up the long colours. I have the ideal pattern for the Fyberspates sparkle, but just need the time. The grey and pink yarn will become just plain socks. The last surprising colour is grey. I’ve recently been drawn to natural non dyed yarn. I’ll blame Rams and Yowes for that!

I LOVE colour, I’m just not very good at it. Luckily my friends at knit and natter are on hand to help me with colour choices and I think that’s making my colour theory better. I pretty much never knit a pattern in the colour way or the yarn that’s recommended so I suppose I should really keep on learning which colours go together and which colours suit me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UFYL Day 3-

  Yesterday was a day off because I worked all day. The idea is to get the house to a stage where 20 mins a day in the dedicated room will do it; but we are not yet at that stage so I had a day off. OH did some laundry and attempted to scrub at a mould stain. Today- Bathroom, Spare Room and Cupboard Under the stairs.   Bathroom:   Before So to start off with grout got scrubbed. See the little white patch in the before? That was where I’d attacked it with baking soda about a week ago. As a result the bathroom was clean-ish but horribly cluttered. I got rid of any bottles that we didn’t use anymore, any face cloths that were damaged because they hadn’t been washed in a while (Note to self, next paycheck buy new ones- Ebay?) and just generally sorted. All surfaces got wiped down including the outside of the toilet bowl, the stem of the sink, the pipes behind the loo, the outside of the bath and the skirting boards. Emptied the bin, removed that POS “organiser” from around the stem

2016 Round Up!

So a bit late, but better late then never for a round up! 2016 has been a year; there's been a few diamonds in the rough and a few wonderful people who've gotten me through but overall wowza, what a year. Yarn Craft wise,I've used   19,586 Meters in 41 Projects For comparison 2015 was 22,752 meters in 42 projects 2014 was 11,464 meters in 33 projects 2013 was 12,732 meters in 25 projects This year that breaks down as 4 Hats, 17 Pairs of Socks, 14 Shawls and a scarf 4 Blankets 1 Pair of Mittens, I also managed most of a Cardigan. I ended the year with 2 fronts, a back and 1 finished sleeve. It will get finished (at some point) in 2017; and I'll count the yardage for 2017. Hats Konglelua - the second hat on the top row has been my go to hat all of this year. Pretty, soft and warm! The blueberry Waffles hat from Daughter of a Shepherd - bottom right has has some great wear too! Socks  This year I really changed up how I do socks. I started

Sad week

  We’re not having a very good week here in Gloucester. Sunday I was poorly and had to phone into work sick (I’m much better now) and then on Monday we had to have our oldest hamster put to sleep.  He’d been going downhill for the last few days, and when I got home from work on Monday, it wasn’t good, so the kindest thing to do was take him and have him humanely put to sleep, it would only have been a few hours if we’d have left him naturally anyway- best to put him out of his suffering. So then the next day we went back with Rommie the rat. She’s been having real trouble with balance, and she’s got so skinny even though she’s eating. The vet thinks she’s blind, and that it may be a brain tumour or an abscess on her brain. The only way to tell would be an MRI, and the best that could tell us is that there was something there; with a cat or dog there would be options but she’s a small animal and she’s old- Plus at the moment I wouldn’t be convinced that she’d make it through the anaes