Skip to main content

3KCBWDAY6- Improving you skillset

 

I’m about 100% certain I published this Saturday but seeing as it’s not showing up you get it today instead.

Improving Your Skillset
How far down the road to learning your craft do you believe yourself to be? Are you comfortable with what you know or are you always striving to learn new skills and add to your knowledge base? Take a look at a few knitting or crochet books and have a look at some of the skills mentioned in the patterns. Can you start your amigurumi pieces with a magic circle, have you ever tried double knitting, how's your intarsia? If you are feeling brave, make a list of some of the skills which you have not yet tried but would like to have a go at, and perhaps even set yourself a deadline of when you'd like to have tried them by.

Today will be a short one. I went to Wonderwool! It was AMAZING and I spent all my pennies and know that next year I need to save even more. I missed out on some stuff I would have loved but to be honest would have needed lots to do what I wanted to do and I didn’t have the budget for that. There was some lace that was beautiful, but would have been 1/2 my budget- just not happening at the moment I’m afraid.

Knitting wise I am NEVER afraid to try something. I think I could try something new each year for as long as I live and still have things to do. On my wishlist at the moment is the Knitters Life List which would be an ideal companion for this list.

I *can * start my crochet with a magic loop

and with a floop,

I’ve tried double knitting and not got on particularly well so it’s on my “come back too” list,

I can say I’ve never done intarsia, but my stranded colourwork aint half bad.

After completing Sylvi cables are my bitch,

I knit in the round whenever I can, magic loop is my favourite but I can do plain circular knitting on an appropriate sized cable (Thank you Interchangeable needles!) DPN’s hold no mystery for me and I can even do 2 circs, but it’s by far my least preferred method because finding 2 sets of circs not in projects can be a hard thing for me to do.

Enterlac was a skill I learned at Christmas.

I duplicate stitched the collars on a Westie cardigan for my Nephew this year.

I also spin, but poorly.

I knit socks from the toe up and the cuff down. I knit 2 at a time normally as well.

I’ve knit a jumper from the top down

How dirty was my mirror and how dark was my hair! (Amused, knit Summer of 2010)

And from the bottom up (Sylvi)

I’m adapting a flat jumper pattern to in the round (up until the armpits anyway)

I’m pretty good with different cast ons (Cable being prefered) and I’m okay with some bind offs, (Traditional and JSSBO) but I’d also like to learn more!

I’ve felted some slippers

Things I would like to do

Lace- I wouldn’t say anything in knitting *scares* me but lace is something I would love to do but have a slight fear of. I have a hank of Laceweight in yellow which I think would make an amazing Swallowtail; and yes BEADING also counts as another thing I would like to do. I also would like to knit my shawl for my wedding and potentially Bridesmaid shawls for my Sister and my Sister in law. Luckily it’s a long way away so I’ll have plenty of time.

Ami – I would like to make at least one full toy this year. I have the skill sets, just not really had the ambition so far. I can see me making more after the nephew is born and as he gets older- boys are so hard to knit for but everyone likes toys.

Spinning- I would like to get better at spinning, I know that this simply comes from time. I do not put enough hours in at my wheel for me to be a good spinner. I’m hoping that if we do move house we will have a proper room for me to sit and spin in. Although I currently have my attic it is clogged with clothes, exercise machines that get no use (They will be sold before we move!) and the tumble dryer.

Dying! I actually bought a dye kit, sock blank and 2 skeins of sock yarn today. I am incredibly excited about dying that I might just have to clean the kitchen tomorrow and make a mess on Monday! I wanted pink and brown self striping and couldn’t find any.

Afterthought Heels- I actually also bought some plain un-dyed (cream) sock yarn today to do the toes and heels of my Time Traveller socks. The yarn stripes up like Tom Bakers Scarf from Dr Who and I really don’t want to interrupt the stripes.

Steeks- Already part way through Rams and Yowes I’m dreading the day when out come the scissors to snippedy snip!

General things I would like to learn but are not a priority this year- Crochet Intarsia and Crochet colourwork in general, true finishing techniques instead of muddling though, writing my own patterns and charts, Needle felting.

Thing is, despite this long list of things I can do, things I can’t do (yet!) is just the overwhelming desire to learn! I promise you now if I wasn’t so tired I would be up at my wheel plowing away at some roving. That sounds like a belting idea for tomorrow actually.

The next few posts will be pic heavy with very little words because I have probably bored you all to death. Sorry <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UFYL Day 3-

  Yesterday was a day off because I worked all day. The idea is to get the house to a stage where 20 mins a day in the dedicated room will do it; but we are not yet at that stage so I had a day off. OH did some laundry and attempted to scrub at a mould stain. Today- Bathroom, Spare Room and Cupboard Under the stairs.   Bathroom:   Before So to start off with grout got scrubbed. See the little white patch in the before? That was where I’d attacked it with baking soda about a week ago. As a result the bathroom was clean-ish but horribly cluttered. I got rid of any bottles that we didn’t use anymore, any face cloths that were damaged because they hadn’t been washed in a while (Note to self, next paycheck buy new ones- Ebay?) and just generally sorted. All surfaces got wiped down including the outside of the toilet bowl, the stem of the sink, the pipes behind the loo, the outside of the bath and the skirting boards. Emptied the bin, removed that POS “organiser” from around the stem

2016 Round Up!

So a bit late, but better late then never for a round up! 2016 has been a year; there's been a few diamonds in the rough and a few wonderful people who've gotten me through but overall wowza, what a year. Yarn Craft wise,I've used   19,586 Meters in 41 Projects For comparison 2015 was 22,752 meters in 42 projects 2014 was 11,464 meters in 33 projects 2013 was 12,732 meters in 25 projects This year that breaks down as 4 Hats, 17 Pairs of Socks, 14 Shawls and a scarf 4 Blankets 1 Pair of Mittens, I also managed most of a Cardigan. I ended the year with 2 fronts, a back and 1 finished sleeve. It will get finished (at some point) in 2017; and I'll count the yardage for 2017. Hats Konglelua - the second hat on the top row has been my go to hat all of this year. Pretty, soft and warm! The blueberry Waffles hat from Daughter of a Shepherd - bottom right has has some great wear too! Socks  This year I really changed up how I do socks. I started

Sad week

  We’re not having a very good week here in Gloucester. Sunday I was poorly and had to phone into work sick (I’m much better now) and then on Monday we had to have our oldest hamster put to sleep.  He’d been going downhill for the last few days, and when I got home from work on Monday, it wasn’t good, so the kindest thing to do was take him and have him humanely put to sleep, it would only have been a few hours if we’d have left him naturally anyway- best to put him out of his suffering. So then the next day we went back with Rommie the rat. She’s been having real trouble with balance, and she’s got so skinny even though she’s eating. The vet thinks she’s blind, and that it may be a brain tumour or an abscess on her brain. The only way to tell would be an MRI, and the best that could tell us is that there was something there; with a cat or dog there would be options but she’s a small animal and she’s old- Plus at the moment I wouldn’t be convinced that she’d make it through the anaes