Skip to main content

Esk

 

I’m hopefully going to be writing a little more to clear a backlog of posts I’ve wanted to write but been unable to while my computer was messed up; but first some sad sad news.

We had to have our Esk put to sleep yesterday. She was nearly 2, which is an average age for a rat but seeing her sisters still so full of live made it so much harder.

P1010485

She had something wrong with her brain. With rats that’s about as much as you get to know diagnostically. We could have put her through an MRI to see if it was a tumour or if she’d had a stroke but the end results would have been the same – palliative care so there was no real need to put her through that.

P1010635

She was the friendliest of the group of 4 girls. She was always running up to the cage bars to see you and she used to nibble the hard skin on the side of my fingers. Our little rattie manicurist.

P1010833

 

In Tiffany’s last days she played the role of body guard and protector. No one even dared touch Tiffany without Esk attacking them! One consolation we can take from that is that they’re back together now, both in their prime snuggling with Rommie our very first rat.

 

P1020032

 

Esk for a long time made me think I’d lost my mind. When we first moved to Newport from Gloucester the girls and Tiffany were in a large travel cage. I was sleeping on the sofa as our bed was still in Gloucester and I’d wake up in the middle of the night picturing a rat on top of the cage. As soon as I woke up, turned on the light and looked in the cage there was still 5 rats.

P1020200

Turned out she was escaping to the top and then chickening out and going back in with her friends, toys and food!

P1020209

 

I know she had a great last few weeks. A trip to my parents, with lots of food and love. Her last weeks were spent with Esme, who’s had a lump removed. She misses her a lot; we all do.

 

P1020328

We spent yesterday together, me and her mostly. She just wanted to cuddle, a complete difference from her usual bouncy self. More than anything she just looked tired, she looked so ready to go.

 

P1020341

I held her all the way to the vets office, wrapped up in a green towel. We waited for an hour or so, it was busy he was running behind but I didn’t care I could have waited all night. When we saw Paul he agreed that it was right, she’d lost a good third of her body weight in the last few days, she was eating but it took more energy to eat then she was getting from the food. He took her through the back and it was quick and painless. I think he held her while she went and she knew that we did the best thing for her.

 

P1020401

It’s been two years since we last lost a pet. Time heals all wounds and you forget how raw it feels, how much of a hole they leave in your heart. You want the world to stop, to yell that she was a GREAT Rat and she didn’t deserve to die. That she should live forever, that all pets should.

 

P1020520

All we can rest on is that we gave her the best possible life. We loved her completely and she loved us completely back. I could have avoided the heartbreak and pain by not letting them come into my lives, but I feel both of ours would be so much poorer for that.

P1020522

We Miss you Eskie; our little “wild” rat, picked up off the warehouse floor at Pets at Home to make up the numbers! Winking smile

 

P1020523

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UFYL Day 3-

  Yesterday was a day off because I worked all day. The idea is to get the house to a stage where 20 mins a day in the dedicated room will do it; but we are not yet at that stage so I had a day off. OH did some laundry and attempted to scrub at a mould stain. Today- Bathroom, Spare Room and Cupboard Under the stairs.   Bathroom:   Before So to start off with grout got scrubbed. See the little white patch in the before? That was where I’d attacked it with baking soda about a week ago. As a result the bathroom was clean-ish but horribly cluttered. I got rid of any bottles that we didn’t use anymore, any face cloths that were damaged because they hadn’t been washed in a while (Note to self, next paycheck buy new ones- Ebay?) and just generally sorted. All surfaces got wiped down including the outside of the toilet bowl, the stem of the sink, the pipes behind the loo, the outside of the bath and the skirting boards. Emptied the bin, removed that POS “organiser” from around the stem

2016 Round Up!

So a bit late, but better late then never for a round up! 2016 has been a year; there's been a few diamonds in the rough and a few wonderful people who've gotten me through but overall wowza, what a year. Yarn Craft wise,I've used   19,586 Meters in 41 Projects For comparison 2015 was 22,752 meters in 42 projects 2014 was 11,464 meters in 33 projects 2013 was 12,732 meters in 25 projects This year that breaks down as 4 Hats, 17 Pairs of Socks, 14 Shawls and a scarf 4 Blankets 1 Pair of Mittens, I also managed most of a Cardigan. I ended the year with 2 fronts, a back and 1 finished sleeve. It will get finished (at some point) in 2017; and I'll count the yardage for 2017. Hats Konglelua - the second hat on the top row has been my go to hat all of this year. Pretty, soft and warm! The blueberry Waffles hat from Daughter of a Shepherd - bottom right has has some great wear too! Socks  This year I really changed up how I do socks. I started

Sad week

  We’re not having a very good week here in Gloucester. Sunday I was poorly and had to phone into work sick (I’m much better now) and then on Monday we had to have our oldest hamster put to sleep.  He’d been going downhill for the last few days, and when I got home from work on Monday, it wasn’t good, so the kindest thing to do was take him and have him humanely put to sleep, it would only have been a few hours if we’d have left him naturally anyway- best to put him out of his suffering. So then the next day we went back with Rommie the rat. She’s been having real trouble with balance, and she’s got so skinny even though she’s eating. The vet thinks she’s blind, and that it may be a brain tumour or an abscess on her brain. The only way to tell would be an MRI, and the best that could tell us is that there was something there; with a cat or dog there would be options but she’s a small animal and she’s old- Plus at the moment I wouldn’t be convinced that she’d make it through the anaes